Thursday, February 1, 2007

We are three weeks into it….

Getting Cinched. Our diets started three weeks ago. For those of you who know us, you know we are not dieters. Ugh. I guess we are motivated for this. So far, John has lost 2 pounds and 3 inches. I have lost 5 pounds and 1.5 inches. Recently I put on a pair of jeans and, inadvertently, I chose a pair I couldn’t get my butt into for quite some time. I got ‘em on! They were tight for sure but I got them on! This is what I needed since I am so trained to focus on weight loss I had been discouraged that the pounds weren’t melting off. Pounds schmounds. This is an inch loss program and it is working!

Our buddy Don has so far lost 10 pounds and 5.5 inches. Our new friend Natalya has had tremendous success. She was recently featured on a national Cinch conference call. One of my Cinch buddies had this to report, “I DO HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT IN THE 2 WEEKS ON THE CINCH PLAN I HAVE LOST 11 LBS. I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT KIND OF RESULTS ON ANY PLAN I HAVE BEEN ON.” Get it here, ladies and gentlemen.

You'd Lose Money if you Didn't Buy This Wine
Trellis Cabernet Sauvignon, Los Carneros, 2002, $5.49 at Trader Joe’s

Thank Heavens for Trader Joe’s! Finally, a retailer willing to display lots and lots of wine for under $10 a bottle. This California Cabernet has a classic nose and color and is a medium to full bodied wine. It is soft in your mouth with cherry flavor (slightly sharp) and a smooth finish. It has considerable amount of tannins so I will buy a few more and sit on them for a year to see if they lighten up.


Capone Ventures Out
John’s new adventure has him looking seriously at opening an authentic Italian deli. We are both very enamored with A&S Pork Store in Wayne, New Jersey and there is nothing like that in Roswell. It will be an Italian deli, butcher and wine store with a dessert shop/bakery added on later. Right up his alley, huh? Stay tuned….

John is also wrapping his head around the idea of mass producing Tarralls. Tarralls are Italian pretzel snacks that contain fennel seeds. They are crunchy like a pretzel and, I don’t know, there’s just something addicting about them (ask my folks – they love them!) Tarralls have been a staple in the Capone household for years. The Capones were introduced to them by John’s sister Mary’s mother-in-law, Ann DeLucia.

A recent Sunday we had a Tarrall -a-thon at our house with 6+ folks helping create these snacks. Make the dough, let it rise, roll the Tarralls, let them rise, boil them in water, let them dry and bake them till they’re brown. They take a while and are very hand intensive but we love ‘em! The spoils were divided among us with John’s portion going with him on his bakery trips and my portion being shipped to mom and dad in Omaha.

Another BasicH2 Story
I hate to iron. I especially hate to iron big table cloths. We entertain a lot and I won’t spend the money to have my table cloths professionally laundered. When I iron my table cloths (hating it) I can’t seem to get them ironed well – even with a spray bottle of water or starch. Last time, I got out my bottle of BasicH2 window and glass blend and used it while I ironed. Wow, wow. Super flat. Crazy isn’t it? How one little product can do so much and iron well, too? Now, if I could find a decent ironing board….